Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Little Hands

I love little hands. I love how they fit so perfectly in my hand and it's one of those things of childhood that I never want to forget. I want to imprint the feeling and sight of holding hands with my kids in my memory forever. It is something that we probably all take for granted, but sometimes I am reminded on just how special this simple act is and I can savor it a little bit more.

When it's time for Abigail to get on the bus, Mitchell will go up with us because he loves to see the bus. We stand there and blow kisses to Abigail while the bus is pulling away and then on the way back down to the house, he always holds my hand. His little hand just reaches right up and grabs on to my hand and we just casually stroll down the street, usually with him rambling on about something that he saw or has recently done. I love that still-a-little-chubby hand holding on to mine while we walk and talk.

Then when it is time for Abigail to come home, I usually go meet her about halfway up the street by myself and as soon as she sees me, she instinctively reaches for my hand. And then I get the wonderful experience of holding my girl's hand while we walk back home and she tells me all about her day at school. Another special moment in my day, which may seem small and trivial, but very important and fulfilling for me. I love that my big girl still wants to hold my hand!

And of course Hayden, he is still very much in the hand-holding stage and I love it now that he is trying to walk. He wants to hold on to your hand or your fingers to practice his new found skill. He is still very wobbly, so he is holding on out of necessity, but I still cherish it! I love looking down and watching his very round, chubby feet as he balances and shuffles around, holding on to my hand for all the support that he needs.

No, it's not my hand, but I love watching them hold their Daddy's hand too!
I guess I am a little sentimental today and I can see the metaphor in this very simple, everyday act. I am going to enjoy every minute I have with my kids right now, while they are still little and love walking and holding my hand. And then one day when they are bigger and they don't want to hold my hand, I hope they know that I am always here for them and that I will always love to walk and talk with them and that I support them in every aspect of their life. I am their Mommy and my job of holding their hand, whether actually doing that or just figuratively, will never end and will always be something that I hold near and dear to my heart!

1 comment:

Erin said...

This made me want to cry. I love holding my kids hands too. Logan won't hardly walk anywhere unless he's holding my hand. I always have to hold his right hand though because he sucks his thumb on his left hand. :) It is wonderful that you are so sentimental and want to cherish these moments. They pass so quickly it seems!