Saturday, November 27, 2010

Reliving my Youth

Tonight was such a fun night for me! I played in my first high school alumni basketball game in my hometown and it was a blast! And I now actually have the privilege of saying that I played in the Inaugural Carroll County Lady Panthers Alumni Game and hope to make it an annual tradition!

Basketball was my life when I was younger. I started playing in elementary school and by middle school I lived and breathed basketball and that love for the game continued on throughout high school. I was on the varsity team my freshman year and by my sophomore year I was a starter. I was blessed to have some God-given talent on my side and athleticism, so that led me to be quite successful and came out of my high school career with numerous awards and honors. But all that pales in comparison to what I was able to experience at tonight's game.

Tonight I got to play a game I love, and haven't played in years, with fellow alumni that were out to have a good time. Some that I had played with during my years in high school and others that had graduated ahead of and behind me, that I was playing with for the first time. But the best part is that I got to play in front of my husband and children and it was awesome! I heard Abigail and Mitchell cheering me on from the sidelines and heard their sweet voices yelling "Go Mommy!" and "Just do your best Mommy!" And I saw my husband giving me thumbs up and full of pride as I ran up and down the court. Gone were the pressures of scoring and winning that I had experienced during high school, and in its' place were the immense feelings of gratitude and love.

The kiddos and I before the game



All the Lady Panther Alumni and coaches

Me attempting to still have a shot and getting to wear my old number again!
I am so grateful that I still have the ability to get out there and play and also that I get to share it with my family. Abigail even said, after watching me, that she no longer wants to be a cheerleader but now wants to play basketball, that was music to my ears! I hope that I am blessed to play again next year and can continue to show my children that if you put your heart into something, you can always make it happen. I didn't think that 12 years later I would be able to hit the basketball court again and am so proud that I did!

1 comment:

Aunt Sherry said...

I remember coming to see you play ball with Pop and Grammy - we were some of your biggest fans - LOL - have fun this time around